Current:Home > reviewsProsecutors in classified files case to urge judge to bar Trump from inflammatory comments about FBI -Capitatum
Prosecutors in classified files case to urge judge to bar Trump from inflammatory comments about FBI
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 14:37:27
FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) — The federal judge presiding over the classified documents prosecution of Donald Trump is hearing arguments Monday on whether to bar the former president from public comments that prosecutors say could endanger the lives of FBI agents working on the case.
Special counsel Jack Smith’s team says the restrictions are necessary in light of Trump’s false comments that the FBI agents who searched his Mar-a-Lago estate in August 2022 for classified documents were out to kill him and his family. Trump’s lawyers say any gag order would improperly silence Trump in the heat of a presidential campaign in which he is the presumptive Republican nominee.
It was not immediately clear when U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon, a Trump appointee whose handling of the case has been closely scrutinized, might rule. Before turning her attention to the limited gag order sought by prosecutors, she is scheduled to hear additional arguments Monday morning related to the Justice Department’s appointment and funding of Smith, whose team brought the charges.
The arguments are part of a three-day hearing that began Friday to deal with several of the many unresolved legal issues that have piled up in a case that had been set for trial last month but has been snarled by delays and a plodding pace. Cannon indefinitely postponed the trial, and it’s all but guaranteed that it will not take place before the November presidential election.
Trump faces dozens of felony charges accusing him of illegally hoarding top-secret records at Mar-a-Lago and obstructing the FBI’s efforts to get them back. Given the breadth of evidence that prosecutors have put forward, many legal experts have regarded the case as the most straightforward of the four prosecutions against Trump, who has pleaded not guilty. But Cannon has been slow to rule on numerous motions and has proved willing to entertain defense requests that prosecutors say are meritless.
Smith’s team objected last month after Trump claimed that the FBI was prepared to kill him while executing a court-authorized search warrant of Mar-a-Lago on Aug. 8, 2022. He was referencing boilerplate language from FBI policy that prohibits the use of deadly force except when the officer conducting the search has a reasonable belief that the “subject of such force poses an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury to the officer or to another person.”
Trump falsely claimed in a fundraising email that the FBI was “locked & loaded ready to take me out & put my family in danger.”
Prosecutors say such comments pose a significant foreseeable risk to law enforcement, citing as examples an attempted attack on an FBI office in Ohio three days after the Mar-a-Lago search and the more recent arrest of a Trump supporter accused of threatening an FBI agent who investigated President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter.
“Deploying such knowingly false and inflammatory language in the combustible atmosphere that Trump has created poses an imminent danger to law enforcement that must be addressed before more violence occurs,” prosecutors wrote in a court filing on Friday.
Trump’s lawyers say they’ve failed to show that his comments have directly endangered any FBI official who participated in the Mar-a-Lago search.
“Fundamentally, the motion is based on the fact that President Trump criticized the Mar-a-Lago raid based on evidence from publicly filed motions in this case, as part of his constitutionally protected campaign speech, in a manner that someone in the government disagreed with and does not like,” they said.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Pete McCloskey, GOP congressman who once challenged Nixon, dies at 96
- Drake's security guard injured in shooting outside rapper's Toronto home, police say
- An 'Office' reboot is coming at last: See where mockumentary crew will visit next
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- 11 Container Store Items That Will Organize Your Messy Desk
- Woman seeks to drop sexual assault lawsuit against ex-Grammys CEO
- NBA draft lottery: Which teams have best odds to reel in this year's No. 1 pick
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Harvey Weinstein is back in NYC court after a hospital stay
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Pennsylvania sees fewer mail ballots rejected for technicalities, a priority for election officials
- 'Taylor Swift vs Scooter Braun: Bad Blood' docuseries coming to Max
- Friends, former hostages praise Terry Anderson, AP reporter and philanthropist, at memorial service
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Victorinox says it's developing Swiss Army Knives without blades
- Maryland governor signs bill to rebuild Pimlico, home of the Preakness Stakes
- Homeless encampment cleared from drug-plagued Philadelphia neighborhood
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Music Midtown, popular Atlanta music festival, canceled this year
Cardinals catcher Willson Contreras breaks left forearm when hit by J.D. Martinez’s bat
Rents are rising faster than wages across the country, especially in these cities
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
Blue Nile Has All the Last Minute Mother’s Day Jewelry You Need – up to 50% Off & Free Shipping
You have a week to file your 2020 tax return before $1 billion in refunds are lost forever
Charlotte Hornets hire Celtics assistant coach Charles Lee to be their next head coach